Sunday, January 29, 2006

What my red Georgia coat brought us:

by chinwhat at 3:44 p.m.

On Sunday, I helped Shaun pick up some furniture using my family’s van. We decide to grab a quick bite at this spot near the airport. I used to eat there once in a while when I was at Sobeys. We sit down at a table by the window and I had my red Georgia Tech coat on. Across the front, across the chest, it says “Georgia” in big black letters. This old man who was sitting by himself at another seat takes notice and says to me “Georgia? Do you know where Georgia is?” He was an older white gentleman with some sort of Euro accent. I knew he wasn’t talking about the Bulldogs, nor the state of, but the country in Eastern Europe. So I play dumb, but Shaun likes Geography and he begins to engage with the man. They talk about various place in Belgium and Germany. He quizzes us on Waterloo and other Euro destinations. So what did two twenty-somethings and an old Euro talk about for an hour? Highlights include:

- talk on international business which led to…
- him calling Shaun a bad businessman. (This to me was quite hilarious)
- the benefits of doing business with China
- calling me “Mr. Manila” and not being “convinced” with his business ideas
- and “until we meet again in Shanghai”
- punking us for not having our own business and working for someone else “you like your small cheques?” and “it’s like being a slave” pwnd1

He said many more interesting things, but I find it funny how random old people have no problem talking to strangers. Shaun pointed out that it must be an old person thing. If one of us were to do this, then we’d be seen as… well, crazy. But to them, they might have done that all the time back in the day: just started talking to random guy and then that’s it. I think that's a pretty cool thing. Being able to mix it up with some random person with out reservations and just be cool.

WAR open dialogue

1 Comments:

Blogger OhPunk! said...

Fuck chin! You wrote about my blog for tomorrow.. ahh well I'll write about it anyway...

"Fat cows.. no wait.. unionized far cows!"

1/29/2006 11:58:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home