Monday, September 18, 2006

“Though the fans want the feeling of A Tribe Called Quest” © K.West

by chinwhat at 10:17 p.m.
Last night was Tribe’s return to Toronto. Needless to say I was happy. I mean, they’re my most favoritist group of all time! This is pretty much my dream come true. Gay? Maybe. But its like if ai saw Vitalogy. Or Chris seeing JapPop. Or Shaun watching the TSO performs the complete scores of each Star Trek series. That’s how happy I was! Anyways, here’s a break down of who was where:

Openers were some random group from Cali. I don’t really remember who they were and I don’t care – that is unless the make it and then I can say “I saw them when…” No one in the house knew who they were… and it showed. Sorry opening act, better luck next time! (after stumblin' on the Interweb, i found out they're called "The Procussions"... yeah, >shrug< over here too)

Consequence: nice of Tribe to bring him along. Too bad he lacked stage presence… and the crowd, in typical T-Dot fashion*, showed mild appreciation.

Rhymefest was next. I enjoy the Rhymefest and hope he does better. Problem is that he’s one ugly mothafucker! Since he’s not marketable, none Hip Hoppers will know who he is. Anyways, he had an alright freestyle and wacky hijinks. Too bad his singer/hype man’s mic was louder/clearer than his. C’mon sound monkeys, do your job! Oh, and he brought out Kardinal for a couple of minutes and the place went nuts! Glad to see the crowd showing A LOT of love for Kardi. He really deserves it as he represents the TDot well.

A Tribe Called Quest came on and they even fucking brought Jarobi! Fucking Jarobi, son! Jarobi! Tip came all decked out looking all dapper in his bow tie. Ali came on the 1s and 2s with his nice straight teeth. And Phife had the TNT vibe going with the bandana and SocaWarrior T. I wish I remembered to bring Beth’s TNT flag. Maybe Phifer would’ve given me props! Ah, only in my dreams… Anyways, they fucking kilt it and did all their big hits. Sure I wish they stayed longer than just over an hour, but they did what all great live performers do: leave the crowd wanting more.


*seriously, what’s up with the crowds here in Toronto? This is fucking A Tribe Called Quest! They haven’t been here in 10 years!** Throw your hands up! Yell your face off! Scream til hoarse! I can only guess that the crowd didn’t really know who was on stage. The average age was a LOT younger than I thought it would be. I seriously thought I’d be jamming with mid to late thirty year olds!


**I remember running to the window at the Much Music Awards just trying to catch a glimpse. Then some old blue hairs asking the girl besides me who was there performing. The look of confusion on their faces after the chick gave them the answer was effing gold!

2 Comments:

Blogger OhPunk! said...

Fuck off Chin! I hate StarTrek. Seriously.

9/19/2006 12:19:00 a.m.  
Blogger Rubex Cube said...

Damn Chin I know some of my brown peeps that went to the show...you don't know them but I thought I would throw it out anyways hahah :D

Humm I don't think I can relate to your post, I haven't gone OMG for any musical group as of yet! sad

9/19/2006 06:08:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home