Sunday, February 19, 2006

Candy and a Dollar

by chinwhat at 8:14 p.m.
One of our Project Manager’s mother died last week. It was that old lady who was tragically killed when she was trying crossing highway 10 last Monday. After the car hit her, the driver and passenger got out of their car, looked at her and jumped back in and took off. When we found out at work, a lot of people were obviously upset, including myself. You see, our PM is one of the oldest in age in our department and I guess that’s one reason why I – or I should say ‘we’ - see her as the Mother-figure for us. She’s always the one who pays for the birthday person when we take them out for lunch. She’s brought us baked goods for Christmas. Always supportive. Always upbeat and happy. When I first started, she was one of the first people to go out of her way to make me feel welcome. On Saturday, I looked up the directions for the funeral home. It wasn’t a close drive. Just before Unionville. As much of an inconvenience this would be, I knew I had to go. (Lesson learned from Wise ol’ Man Jon: even though you might not want to do a particular thing, you should still do it if it means something for someone else) I make the hour long drive out northeast to the viewing. I saw most of our department there which I thought was great. When we greeted her I couldn’t help this one thought: As much as she may have appreciated it, I never thought a hug could feel so inadequate. I wish I could do more. She was so sad. We stayed for a bit and on our way out I ate the candy that was in that little white envelope. I looked for a convenience store to spend the loonie on. I bought a 649 and figured that if I win, I’ll give some of it to my PM. It’s the least I could do, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rubex Cube said...

Sad! Heard about it on the tv and stuff and was like "damn that is soo close to home" why the heck didn't those dirt bags get help and why the flip did they get out and then jet!" Idiots!

2/22/2006 12:16:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home