Wednesday, January 26, 2005

“Ice to meet you”

by chinwhat at 1:11 p.m.
So last night, I was going through another session of “midnight snow removal from my driveway.” I don’t know what it is, maybe the warm orange glow, quite bustle of the branches, but there’s something calming about shoveling snow late at night – aside from the back breaking labor that is. But what’s really cool is having a bunch of your neighbors do it along with you. These are the times I get to meet and greet. I began conversing with my neighbor that way. Her name’s Asha. She’s brown but from Trinidad (“Trini in da house!”) and works in a bakery. She’s so nice; she hooks me up with some lovely cinnamon rolls! And my neighbor on the other side? They’re Italianos. The grandfather’s nice. He doesn’t speak a word of English, but we still say ‘hi.’ This winter they got a new snow blower and grandpa Gepetto was using it not only to clear their drive, but ours too! So I say to him: “Is that what Santa left you for Christmas?” “Si, si, si” was his reply with a sort of dismissive wave. Oh yeah, forgot he doesn’t speaka-the-a-language, so I just break out the “Gracie, gracie!” “Prego, prego.” And as Shaun and I would say: “Sir, you’ve got a hot grand daughter!”

1 Comments:

Blogger Rubex Cube said...

Wicked that is what we do also, my bros shovelled yesterday around the same time! hehe it's cool though, about the whole chatting with neighbours and all! :) It's neat though how snow brings the world together.

1/26/2005 01:34:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home