Monday, June 01, 2009

Salt & Pepper Review: Pray for My Butthole/ROLL IT GAL!

by chinwhat at 7:18 p.m.
I’m a MingRoom guy. Everyone knows that. It’s my #2 favorite restaurant and I love the way they do their Manchurian Paneer/Manchurian sauce. Hot and great coriander flavour.

CathyAl aka TheEntity (soon to become TheEntitree, which I’m claiming gloss credit for) hipped me to another Hakka place called Salt&Pepper up on 10 and Britannia. Since I was doing some IT training in the area, I decided to give it a shot based on their recommendation – and their hot warning.

In order to properly measure it against my precious MingRoom, I ordered the hot and sour soup and the Manchurian Paneer.

The H&S soup comes out first and I was REALLY impressed by the execution of this dish. It was semi clear and not thick and gluey that you’d get at a Chinese restaurant. Uniformly sliced cabbage and whole leaves of coriander were the only things that filled the soup and pretty much, that’s all it needs. Also, it was HOT! I was in full sweat-dripping/nose running mode even before I was finished the bowl.

At first I thought it was a huge punk when the waiter dropped of a FULL pitcher of water at my table until I saw him do that to other guests in the restaurant, hahaha.

Just as I finished the soup, the main came out and right off the bat, I wasn’t impressed. The paneer was heavily battered and there were only six measly pieces – compared to MingRoom’s heavily generous version. The Manchurian sauce wasn’t that good either. Yes it was hot – which is what I wanted – but lacked that cilantro flavour I expected.

Overall, it’s a nice restaurant which I’d like to go to again, but MingRoom still reigns.


Win: hot and sour soup; fire heat count

Fail: Manchurian Paneer dish, Manchurian sauce, what was REALLY fucked up was an Indian remix of Alison Hinds’ soca classic Roll It Gal. What. The. Fuck. !?!?!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lil Lex said...

Salt & Pepper bring the FIRE!

6/02/2009 04:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger Rubex Cube said...

Yummy manchurian paneer or anything manchurian :)

ROLL IT GAL!!!

6/03/2009 09:06:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home